Agriculture is a practice in which plants are cultivated and animals are bred. Civilization arose as a product of agriculture, which started thousands of years ago. About 1,05,000 years ago, humans began to harvest wild-growing cereals. There are various types of agriculture including, livestock, crop cultivation, intensive, and subsistence farming. In this article, we will discuss some historical facts about agriculture.
Some Historical Facts About Agriculture
- Agriculture began about 10,000 years ago when nomadic tribes started agriculture during the First Revolution of Agriculture.
- The first 8 types of crops grown are known as “founder crops”
- Bitter Vetch
- Hulled Barley
- Einkorn Wheat
- Emmer Wheat
- The second agriculture revolution took place between 1700 to 1900 in industrial countries.
- The third agriculture revolution took place at the end of the 20th century. “The Green Revolution”.
- One of the earliest fruit crops was figs, which grew between 6000 and 3000 BC.
- Soon after the advent of agriculture in the Middle East, plows were invented. The first plow was called Ard and was made from pointed branches.
- The first irrigation system date back to around 7000 BC. Built in Mesopotamia, they included canals over a mile long and up to ten feet wide.
- In 644 AD, the Arabs built a windmill that pumped water to irrigate plants.
- Bananas are the most grown fruit crop in the world. Bananas are grown in over 100 countries around the world. In previous times people mostly use native plants to make useful products not being familiar to exports.
- More than 6,000 varieties of apples are grown worldwide. More apples are grown in China than in any other country.
- In the 1880s, to work more efficiently in fields, the tractor was invented and farmers started to adapt to modern technology.
- 99% of farms are owned by private individuals, family partnerships or family businesses.
- Farmers must grow 70% more food by 2050 to feed the world’s rising population.
- Each farmer produces fiber and food for 165 individuals in the US and overseas annually.
- 30% of today’s farmers are women.
- 20% or more farmers are beginners
- Facts about agriculture showed that careful management by farmers has resulted in a 44% reduction in wind and water erosion of agricultural land since 1982.
- Many of the daily use products are by-products of food – from detergent and paint to X-ray films and Stationery, and strings for musical instruments.
- One hectare of land about the size of a football field.
- While the virus has completely wiped the Papaya crop, Biotechnology saves it from extinction.
- 40% of the world’s population belongs to agriculture.
- Cows are the biggest producer.
- Crayons are made from soybean.
- Olive oil is considered effective against cancer treatment because it is counted among the most useful oils in the world.
- Types of agricultural practices vary from region to region.
- Agriculture facts show that there are 70% of farmers are women globally.
- World soil day is celebrated on the 5th of December every year.
Useful Article: Some Facts You Should Know Before Planting Bamboo In Your Gardens
Useful Article: Aquaponics Farming: How Can It Create Sustainable Food Systems?